Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Obama for your Mama!

So...Obama is our new president; how cool! Yet it's so weird at the same time. I can't say that I've ever been heavy into politics, but it's been really fascinating this year to follow what's going on and actually "live" through this historic time. I sit and think about how he must be feeling (tired? excited? overwhelmed?). I think about how crazy it must be to be living a semi-normal life one day and then become president the next. If it were me I'd just constantly have butterflies.

We were joking in the office today about how long it will take for him to get gray hair haha. You know it will happen...and rightly so...it's a stressful job!

Feb, one of the black girls in my office, was talking to me today about how she has had a few people come up to her and ask her "how she feels today now that we have a black president?" It's kind of a silly/funny question that people have. I tend to put color aside and just think of all the good changes he can make and bring to our nation. Yes it's wonderful that he is our country's first black president, and that we have come so far in terms of accepting "race" but Obama becoming president is no more of a beneift to me than it is to any other ethnicity.

But really, I'm just so excited to see what good things will come out of our new leader.
I have faith that good things WILL come and that we really will start to see change in america
....change in the way we think...the way we live...the way we operate and function. I just really can't wait.

1 comment:

Jay and Emily said...

I loved this post Trevor! I am excited to see what changes he will make for our country. He has a lot to deal with, and we all need to support him. In my social policy class we were saying that race is still a big issue in our country. We have made so much progress but we have so far to go. Because people are making such a big deal that he is black, shows us that we still view people by their color. Interesting stuff! I loved watching the inauguration and LOVE being a part of this history!